Guardianship, Fiduciary Service, Power of Attorney & Social Security Rep Payee

• Guardianship of Person and Estate
• Conservatorships
• Federal Fiduciary (Dept. of Veterans Affairs)
• Power of Attorney for Finances
• Social Security Representative Payee

CWCAC Guardianship Services help individuals manage their money to meet their needs and assure them a better quality of life. We also oversee the care and living situation of the ward, as well as medical decision-making.


helping our elderly

Currently providing financial services to clients in the following counties:
Also may be available to other counties in Wisconsin

Jim Dahlke
Senior Accountant
(608) 253-0944 ext. 242

Sue Eck
Guardianship Assistant
(608) 253-0944 ext. 250

Sue Gregerson
Guardianship Program Assistant
(608) 254-8353 ext. 235

Guardianship of Person and Estate

What is a Guardian of Estate?
A Guardian of the Estate is appointed by the Court and is responsible for financial management of the ward’s assets and bill paying. The Court will require an annual accounting of the ward’s assets.

Who needs a Guardian of Estate?
A Guardian of the Estate might be needed where there is no previously executed Durable Power of Attorney for Financial affairs or if an individual is mentally incapable of taking care of bill paying, investments and money matters.

What is a Guardian of Person?
A Guardian of the Person is appointed by the Court and has responsibility for overseeing the care and living situation of the ward, as well as medical decision-making. The guardian’s role is to assist the ward in making decisions about the support services the ward will receive, where the ward will reside, and medical treatment for the ward. If the ward is unable to make decisions, even with assistance, the guardian of the person has the authority to make decisions for the ward.

guardianship information



What is a Conservatorship?
Conservatorship is set up with the voluntary petition of the person seeking the financial assistance. The conservatorship is a court supervised system under which the client voluntarily agrees to allow the agency to manage the client’s estate.

After appointment, the conservator must file an initial inventory of all of the individual’s assets with the court. The court will also require the conservator to file an annual accounting in which the income and expenditures are reported to the court. As a protective measure, the court may require the conservator to post a bond. A conservatorship provides an individual with assistance in managing finances while retaining his or her rights.

Who needs a Conservator?
If you feel that managing your finances has become increasingly difficult or burden-some because of disability or other reasons, you may want to consider asking a court to appoint a conservator on your behalf to manage your finances.

Federal Feduciary

What is a Federal Fiduciary?
The Department of Veterans Affair selects and appoints or recommends for appointment of a legal entity to receive benefits in a fiduciary capacity for a beneficiary.

Who needs a Federal Fiduciary?
The Veterans Service Center Manager is authorized to select and appoint, or in the case of a court-appointed fiduciary, to recommend for appointment a legal entity best suited to receive Department of Veterans Affairs benefits in a fiduciary capacity. This service benefits someone who is mentally ill, incompetent or legally disabled.

legal duty

Power of Attorney for Finances

What is a Durable Power of Attorney for Finances?
A Power of Attorney for Finances (POA) is a legal document that allows you to appoint a person or organization to manage all financial matters such as income and expense management including negotiating with creditors for reduced payments on your behalf.

Who needs a POA?
Anyone who feels in need of assistance to take care of their present financial situation and/or to plan for future financial decision making in the event that they are unable to make their own decisions.

Social Security Rep Payee

A Representative Payee is an organization that receives Social Security or Supplemental Security Income payments for a beneficiary who cannot manage his or her own money.

Among a range of duties, payees must:

  • Use the beneficiary’s Social Security or SSI payments to meet his or her essential needs, such as food, shelter, household bills and medical care. The money can also be used for personal needs like clothing and recreation.
  • Keep any remaining money from benefit payments in a bank account or savings bonds for the beneficiary’s future needs.

VA logo